If you're looking for ways to boost your breast milk supply, you may want to consider adding these four superfoods to your diet.
You love your dogs with all your heart and want to keep them safe and happy. You buy them the best dog food and care for their every need. However, accidents can happen around the house.
You could pet-proof your home. Your pets are safe on their own without your supervision. Educating yourself about what might hurt your dog will help create a safer environment for your little furry friend.
So in this article will talk about ten human things that could kill your dog and how to prevent dangerous accidents. Before we proceed, please note that everything mentioned in this article is unbiased and fact-checked.
Table of contents [Show]
It usually contains xylitol, a natural type of sugar alcohol in some fruits and vegetables. We know that dogs are not necessarily fond of vegetables or fruits. Still, xylitol is a sugar substitute for several other dairy products, such as toothpaste, chewing gum, some chewable vitamins, etc. Xylitol is perfectly safe for humans but can be deadly for our dogs.
Dogs are curious beings who love to chew on anything they find interesting. If they start chewing on your toothpaste, they might get toothpaste poisoning. If dogs ingest more than they can handle, they can experience acute hypoglycemia of 1 gram per kilogram of body weight in less than an hour. Look for vomiting, lethargy, weakness, seizures, and even coma.
In canines compared to humans, xylitol is absorbed almost instantly in the bloodstream, causing the glucose levels to drop and leading to other complications such as liver failure. So, if you notice that your dog has exceptionally fresh breath and the toothpaste tube has been chewed, take him to the vet immediately.
Doh can be dangerous to dogs if ingested in large quantities. It has a specific smell and texture that dogs can treat as food, and most dogs find play-doh delicious, so how bad is it for them? It also depends on the type of play-doh your kids are playing with. A small amount of play-doh might not cause any problems.
Usually, play-doh contains salt and cream of tartar. Large quantities of salt can lead to salt poisoning in dogs. Cream of tartar can also be toxic to your furry friends, causing kidney failure. However, different dogs are affected differently, and more research is needed in this respect.
Certain foods we consider delicious and healthy can cause real problems for your dog. Suppose your dog ate a significant amount of play-doh and displayed symptoms of salt poisoning and kidney failure, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or tummy pain. In that case, you should see a veterinarian immediately.
You probably already know that chocolate is poisonous to your little furry friends, so you should keep them away from it. Avocados are also toxic for dogs and cats alike, especially avocado pits. They can cause diarrhea, severe vomiting, and even intestinal blockage. You should also keep your dogs away from fatty foods. Garlic, grapes, and raisins, as well as salt or yeast products,
It's not only about coffee. Caffeine in large quantities can be fatal to dogs, so keep your canine companions away from your coffee. Caffeine can also be found in well-known diet pills and energy drinks. So keep your friends' sniffing noses away from these beverages. Alcoholic beverages are also hazardous to dogs. Like caffeine, you need to think of several other sources of alcohol, such as syrups or raw bread dough. Dogs' most common signs of alcohol intoxication are vomiting, disorientation, restlessness, excessive panting, seizures, or muscle tremors. Keep an eye out for all these things, and rush your dog to the vet if you've discovered he's been drinking.
Batteries contain many dangerous chemicals that are highly toxic to dogs when ingested. Your dog doesn't have to gulp down an entire battery to be at risk; it's enough if they puncture the battery, causing the toxic fluid to leak. You should keep remotes and battery-powered children's toys away from your canine friends. Chewing on a remote or toy can bite the batteries and ingest toxic chemicals.
Dryer sheets and fabric softeners
are made from synthetic materials that dogs can not digest. They also contain harmful chemicals such as benzalkonium chloride and cetrimonium bromide. We can also find these chemical compounds in fabric softeners.
Furthermore, the chemicals in dryer sheets pose a severe problem. But softeners are also dangerous because they irritate mucous membranes and the stomach lining, leading to burns or ulcers. If you suspect your curious dog has eaten a dryer sheet or gulped down a liquid fabric softener, you should immediately rush him to the veterinarian.
Toxins plants and flowers
There are seven toxic plants and flowers. House plants and different types of flowers can also prove harmful to your dog. Each plant can poison another system in the body. For example, aloe vera is mildly toxic to dogs and cats.
Symptoms of aloe vera poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, and urine color changes. Oleander tulips, especially the bulbs and daffodils, are toxic to dogs, causing symptoms such as gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, agitation, and seizures. Other plants that can be harmful to dogs include daphne ivy, hibiscus lilies, and laurel.
You must call the vet if your dog has any of these symptoms. It might not be easy at first to find the cause. This is why it's essential to know that no plants are safe for dogs.
Using the wrong size of collar and harness
If you step into any pet store, you will find a wide variety of harnesses and collars. There are different materials and sizes, and there's a reason for it. Some dogs might have tracheal issues. They would wear a harness, not a collar.
Other dogs might have the habit of escaping their harnesses, so a collar is more beneficial. However, no matter what you choose, make sure the collar or harness is the right size. Insist on following the manufacturer's instructions on how to measure your dog and find the right fit. In a nutshell, you should be able to slip a finger between your dog's collar and neck. Not too tight, or it could hurt his neck. Could you not go too loose, or could he escape?
The chemicals commonly used in rodent poison can also be dangerous for dogs. Bromethylene is a chemical that directly affects the central nervous system. Both substances can be fatal to your dog, especially if it is a small breed. It can also occur if your dog discovers a dead, poisoned rodent and nibbles on it.
Since there are many types of mouse poisons on the market, you should keep the original packaging in case your dog accidentally ingests some of it. It would help if you showed the packaging to the veterinarian. The vet will be able to determine the main ingredients in the rodent poison and decide on the best treatment.
Nicotine can kill a dog if your dog has been chewing on your cigarettes. Nicotine patches or e-cigars Watch out for any symptoms involving severe vomiting, seizures, depression, or tremors.
Recreational marijuana is also dangerous for dogs because THC is poisonous to them. Veterinary medicine does not have enough data in support of CBD oil either, so do not treat your dogs with CBD oil. Moreover, watch out for brownies, as dogs always have a way of sniffing out the sweets in the house.
With brownies, it's double trouble for dogs as it could result in THC and chocolate poisoning. We know you love your adorable canine friends. We do too. This is why it's essential to ensure they don't accidentally harm themselves.
Some foods that consider delicious and healthy can cause some problems for your dog. Dogs are curious beings who love to chew on anything they find interesting. They can cause vomiting, lethargy, weakness, seizures, coma, and even liver failure. Caffeine in large quantities can be fatal to dogs, so keep your canine companions away from your coffee. Avocados are also toxic for dogs and cats alike, especially avocado pits.
There are seven toxic plants and flowers for dogs. Each plant can poison a different system in the body. Oleander tulips, especially the bulbs and daffodils, are toxic to dogs, causing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, agitation, and seizures.