It's hard to stay ahead of the curve regarding technology and how kids use it in their everyday lives.
At the same time, you want to instill good values and be sure that your kids are safe and responsible with their tech-savvy lives as they grow up in the age of technology.
Here are some tips for being a more tech-savvy parent in this new era.
1) Encourage An Emotional Connection
In the age of technology, it's easy for parents to get wrapped up in their own lives and neglect their children. However, it's important to encourage an emotional connection with your children, even if it means setting aside your phone for a few minutes each day.
Here are five ways to be a more tech-savvy parent in the age of technology.
2) Limit Screen Time
If you want to be a more tech-savvy parent in the age of technology, one of the best things you can do is limit your child's screen time. Here are five ways to accomplish that:
1) Make sure they're not using screens before bedtime;
2) Try not to let them have their phones with them at all times;
3) Turn off notifications on your phone and monitor their activity online (use parental controls);
4) Monitor how much time they spend on screens; and
5) Encourage alternative activities like reading, playing outside, or arts and crafts.
3) Communicate Your Expectations
As a parent, it's essential to set clear expectations regarding your child's use of technology. Here are five ways to be a more tech-savvy parent in the age of technology.
1) Communicate your expectations;
2) Protect their privacy;
3) Know what sites they're visiting;
4) Manage social media accounts for them;
5) Make sure their passwords are strong.
4) Model Good Behavior
One of the best ways to be a more tech-savvy parent is to model good behavior. If you want your kids to be responsible with their devices, set a good example by being responsible with yours.
Put away your phone at the dinner table, don't text and drive, and limit your screen time so your kids can see that you're making healthy choices.
5) Check Their Online Activity
In the age of technology, it's essential to be a tech-savvy parent and know what your kids are up to online. Here are five ways to keep tabs on your child's online activity
1) Check their social media profiles.
2) Read their text messages (when they aren't around).
3) Monitor their phone usage.
4) Check their email account (when they aren't around).
5) Keep an eye on any files stored in the cloud.
With technology becoming increasingly prevalent in society, parents need to be aware of its role in their children's lives.
Here are five ways to be a more tech-savvy parent in the age of technology
1) Familiarize yourself with your child's apps and openly discuss them.
2) Talk to your kids about what they post on social media and how it can impact others.
3) Set up guidelines with your child about how much time they can spend on social media or playing video games daily/week.
4) Check in regularly with your kids as they use their devices, so you know what they're doing online or gaming.